A Winter Wonderland
Here at the Oakeley Arms we like to think we're pretty organised, but that's not to say that we don't suffer from the odd bout of Christmas chaos. As the big day draws ever closer we wondered what better way there was to escape from festive stresses than to have a jolly good day out; even better if that day out is at one of the UK's finest Christmas Markets and includes a BIG glass of mulled wine and a giant hot-dog, yum.
Image by Office de Tourisme de Colmar via Wikimedia Commons
There's not a lot that will induce the jolly yuletide spirit more than a fabulous Christmas market. They originated in medieval Germany but over recent years their popularity has spread across Europe, and now there are hundreds taking place up and down the country. You'll find bags of Christmas cheer, loads of craft and gift stalls, delicious hot and cold food, gallons of mulled wine and plenty to keep the kids entertained too.
There are lots of markets being held across Wales - here's our selection of the best, along with a few a bit further afield - you could always make a weekend of it! (Click on the market name text for more info - opens in a new window)
- Erddig Christmas Market - Erddig, Wrexham. LL13 0YT. November 24th - December 16th 2012. Entry is £3.50 (or £5 to visit house as well).
- Llandudno Christmas Fayre - Madoc Street, Llandudno. November 2012
- Wrexham Victorian Christmas Market - Church Street, Wrexham. December 13th
- Betws y Coed Christmas - December 1st and 2nd
- Chester Christmas Market - Chester Town Hall Square. November 22nd - December 24th
- Caerphilly Christmas Market - Caerphilly Town Centre. December 8th and 9th.
- Swansea Christmas Market - Oxford Street, Swansea. November 23rd - December 16th
- Cardiff Christmas Market - The Hayes and St Johns Street. November 15th - December 23rd.
- Manchester Christmas Market - St Peter's Square, Manchester. November 17th - December 23rd
To find a Christmas market near you visit http://www.christmasmarkets.com/
Image by lizerixt on sxc.hu