Famous North Walians
In last week's blog, we explored the connection that linked us here at the Oakeley Arms to Daniel Day-Lewis' momentous Oscar win. It was a little tenuous, but fascinating nonetheless. We discovered that one of the most famous American presidents, Abraham Lincoln, could trace his roots back to Ysbyty Ifan, a tiny Welsh village not far from the Oakeley Arms.
So, to continue the celebrity theme, we thought we'd rack our brains and think of all the fabulous celebs and famous faces that have a link with our little corner of Wales... So, here goes!
- Our absolute favourite astrologer and "Strictly" star, Russell Grant has made Snowdonia his home for many years.
- Opera star Bryn Terfel was born a short hop from the Oakeley Arms, near the town of Caernarfon, and still lives there with his family.
- Pop princess Duffy is best known for her chart-topping album Rockferry, but she was born and grew up in the small town of Nefyn on the Llyn Peninsula.
- And the original pop princess, Kylie Minogue can trace her roots on her mother's side to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Kylie's great-grandmother was born in the town before she later moved to South Wales with her husband. A family re-union was held a few years ago right here at the Oakeley Arms, but sadly Kylie was simply toooo busy to come along!
Image by Georges Biard via Wikimedia Common
- We can even link north wales to the East End of London now! One of soap's nastiest characters Janine Butcher, is played by Charlie Brooks who grew up in Barmouth, a stone's throw from the Oakeley Arms.
- First World War hero T.E.Lawrence (or Lawrence of Arabia) was born in Tremadog in 1888 to an illegitimate governess Sarah Jenner and an Irish landowner Sir Chapman, who had left his wife to run away with Sarah. The couple were not married, but called themselves Mr & Mrs Lawrence.
- And who could forget Welsh boy Glyn, on the 7th series of reality show Big Brother in 2006. Glyn Wise was born in Blaenau Ffestiniog; perhaps he shares a family link with Kylie Minogue?
- And here's another snippet from the world of reality television. Did you know that Chico Slimani (yeah, "it's Chico time!!") from the 2005 X-Factor contest lived for a little while in the village of Llanystymdwy, near Criccieth?
Image in public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
Have we missed anyone out? If you know of a celeb that graces the nearby streets, then let us know in the comments box below!