Well, that's 2012 done! That went quick didn't it? So we thought we'd have a sneaky peek at the year that was and remind ourselves of the highlights of what was an awesome year....
The 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony
Image by Matt Lancashire on wikicommons
- The Summer Olympics and Paralympics were held in London, with a record medal haul for team GB. We won 29 gold, 17 silver and 19 bronze medals, all of which were pressed at the Royal Mint in Llantrisant, Wales!
- NASA's robotic space probe succesfully lands on Mars in August.
- The Tokyo Skytree, the world's tallest self supporting tower block (at 634m high) was opened to the public in May.
- Austrian Skydiver Felix Baumgartner is the first person ever to break the sound barrier without any machine assistance when he skydives from a ballon 24 miles above the earth!
- Queen Elizabeth II celebrated the Diamond Jubilee - that's 60 years on the throne! There were loads of national events, as well as an extra bank holiday, thanks Liz!
- Whitney Houston, Davy Jones, Donna Summer, Robin Gibb and Ravi Shankar are among the musical legends that sadly passed away in 2012.
- Barak Obama secured another term at the White House.
- The Spanish national football team were the champions at Euro 2012
- And Wales were the winners of the annual Six Nations Rugby Union contest, yay!
- The Wales Coast Path was officially opened in May, making Wales the only country in the world to have a path that circumnavigates it's entire coastline.
- Adele, Reese Witherspoon, Megan Fox, Drew Barrymore, Chris Evans, Robbie Williams, Mark Owen, Uma Thurman, Kourtney Kardashian, Sienna Miller, Sophie Ellis Bextor and Jack Osborne are all celebrities who celebrated bouncing new baby additions this year.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
image by ba1969 on sxc.hu